Advice - High School

While I was in high school, I thought a lot about what I was doing and whether I was doing the right thing. I didn't know anyone in my family that had gone to high school because frankly, no one ever got to. I'm the oldest of three siblings and I graduated not too long ago from high school. I thought I should probably give some advice to those who are probably in the same spot I was in then. 
If you didn't know, credits are used to determine how many classes you've taken and they help show if you're on track for graduation or not. I think the minimum amount of credits one needs for graduation is about 26 in Texas, and about 23 in Oklahoma, so it varies throughout the country depending on the state. You have to have four credits for the core classes (science, math, english, social studies). If you want to know the amount of classes needed for your specific school, ask a counselor or a teacher. They'll be able to help you :) In terms of getting those credits, you have to actually pass the classes (at least with a C, but I would recommend aiming for higher if you want to go to a good college). But if college isn't for you, that's fine. Do what makes you happy :) Different classes fall under different categories, just ask! 
When it comes to studying, there are a lot (like way too many) ways of actually doing so. I personally write notes in colored pens in the neatest handwriting I have to get me to actually want me to read the notes. It also helps if you associate things with the words you try and memorize (ex: if you wanted to memorize the parts of the skull, the temporal lobe would be similar to the temples). Others listen to music while studying and listen to those songs they listened to to help them remember. Repeating things out loud helps too. Flashcards are great too, but it depends on how you can remember things (for me they don't work, but for others they do). Form a study group! They help tremendously, especially because they can help you understand something from one of your classmates or even friends rather than your teacher. 
I like to think that I'm a relatively friendly person, but I can't say for sure because I don't see myself from an outside perspective. When I make friends now, I usually talk to people about something they have that I like (ex: their shirt, a cute pen, a necklace, etc). Since I'm in college, I'll typically ask about the person's major, but in high school, you could probably talk about music and preferences or something like that. Cracking jokes is always a fun way to start a conversation if we're gonna be honest. 
I personally don't have much experience with sports because your girl's pretty lazy so woohoo, but I guess I could say a few things. If you're wanting to join a sports team, maybe ask around and get some players to answer some questions you may have about the team or sport. Choose a sport that makes you happy, don't join one just because your friends are in it and you hate it but you want to be there with them. If anything, support them if you don't like the sport by showing up to their games! Basically, ask for information if you want to join a sport and join one that you'll love, not one you'll dread. I'm not the best for this, but I'm trying :/
I'm not the best person to ask about dating either because I suck at relationships, but I'll give y'all the basics. Don't date someone you hate (duh), don't date someone who forces you to do things if you're uncomfortable, and don't be with anyone who might belittle you (this goes for friends too). Date someone who empowers you, someone who takes care of you, who pushes you to be better, someone who loves you and cherishes you. Stay away from abusive people, from controlling people, from stalkers, from strangers (Read Obsessed if you wanna see why). 
I hope this helped a bit, but if there are any questions that you may have, please don't hesitate to send them to me! thanks for coming to my ted talk

Comments