Femme

As a female, you never know what's gonna happen to you, you never know who's gonna yell something obscene at you, or if you're even going to make it to your car or home safely. 
The first time I ever faced anything concerning harassment or catcalling or anything of the like (that I knew of anyway) was when I was around 10 or 11 years old. I was at a quinceaƱera for a family friend. I was walking to my truck at the time, hand in hand with my dad, and a group of teenage boys (about 17, mind you) started whistling and making kissing noises. To be that age and to hear a group of older boys calling out to you like you're a fucking dog was one of the worst things I've ever felt. My stomach dropped and I felt gross. 
After that, I've had grown men tell me about my body in the most disgusting ways. I never should've had to hear about how "sexy" my body was by a 60-year-old man when I was 13. My 5-year-old brother shouldn't have to hear a guy whistling to me while we're out for a walk. I shouldn't have to fear for my safety because I rejected a guy and he got angry and now wants me to kill myself because of that. I shouldn't have to worry about my little sister going to high school and having to deal with creepy guys trying to talk to her. I shouldn't have to deal with any of this. I get anxious around grown men because of little things that have happened in the past. 
I'm not asking for pity for any of the things. I want to make sure that this is heard. I want to make sure that I get the message across for us as females since people, for some reason, don't believe this actually happens to us. So please, don't act like our fears are irrational. This shit happens every day. It happens to both men and women, but I obviously can't tell you a man's experience from my own perspective because I am not a man. 
Think before you decide to yell something absurd to a person and then go off when they're not comfortable with it. Think before you act. Think before you speak. 

Comments