Misconception - Anxiety

Anxiety is commonly mistaken for nervousness, which doesn't sound too bad, but it brings a lot of issues to the table. Anxiety and nervousness aren't interchangeable, nor will they ever be. It isn't fun. It isn't cute. For some, it's a personal hell. But for others, it's simply a mild inconvenience. 
Nervousness is just that, being nervous. It usually happens when you're near your crush, or when you're starting life at a new school. It's not harmful in any way and happens to anyone and everyone every once in a while. 
Anxiety comes in different forms. It can be social, which is where your throat swells up when you have to speak to someone (not that cute boy or pretty girl you like so much) that probably shouldn't be a threat to you but somehow is. It can cause you to rethink your friendships because your friend might have not seen your message quick enough or maybe they're having a bad day and somehow it might be your fault (though it's usually not). It can change your perception of the world, and usually not for the better. 
My anxiety has cost me countless relationships, both platonic and romantic. My anxiety has gotten bad enough to the point where I've sat in a room and worried about completely minute things. It's forced me to feel trapped in a mind that has no escape route. But it's gotten better ever since I learned about it. 
I have anxiety attacks every now and then. They're never fun, but they're always a learning opportunity for me. I know my triggers. I know what can set me off. I know what to avoid. I know what to do when it gets bad. I recognize the signs of one coming right away. I have a multitude of people to thank for not only putting up with me, but also for sacrificing time and effort for me. I'm sure you know who I'm talking about, and if you're reading this, thank you for everything. 

Comments

Post a Comment