You

I've always been a relatively shy person, and sometimes, I still can be. But if you've known me for at least a year, you'll know that I've changed. I've become more open (I mean just look at the blog) and generally more outgoing. I'm the same person, just more of an open book now more than ever. 
It took me a few years and a hell of a lot of effort. It was worth it in the end, I mean I'm happier overall and I don't think I'd change that. In all seriousness, it kind of helped me learn who I am. I can step out of my comfort zone (only for a bit though) and feel okay with it. I feel comfortable talking to new people despite being completely different from them. I'm happy. 
I didn't just wake up one day thinking, you know what? I want to be confident today. It took me time to figure out how to step out of my shell, and even then, I didn't do it by myself. I leaned on those who'd stepped out of their comfort zone years ago. I needed support and I had it. 
The main thing with me was that I compared myself to other people too much and it was hurting me constantly. I was self conscious (still am, but it was worse) and I was worried about my looks 24/7. I began to care less and less about how other people saw me and I focused on being happy instead. If I wanted to dress up a certain way for school that day, I did it because it'd make me happy. I didn't hide my acne anymore because I knew it wasn't something to be ashamed of. I just wanted to be happy with myself. So I was.
I got advice from a mentor of mine who told me that the way she became so confident was through faking it. She'd look in the mirror every morning and tell herself that she was beautiful, even if she didn't feel like she was. Eventually, it wore onto her and she started loving herself. 
At that point, I was at a low in my life and I wanted to do anything to love myself, so I tried it out. Originally, I didn't see a change. It's been three years, and trust me, it worked. And I'm glad it did. I love myself unconditionally. I'm still working on it, but I'm getting there. 
It's your life to live. In the end, you really only have yourself. Love yourself. You can only get hurt by someone else's words if you let them. Don't let them win. They're likely not worth it if they put you down for being yourself. 

Comments