Questionable

I was born in this country, just like most citizens here. For some reason, certain people see me and think I was born somewhere other than here. It doesn't bother me too much since it happens so often, but it is a bit upsetting to hear "where are you really from?" after I tell them I'm from Texas. In a place like this, you'd think people would just accept the fact that someone was born here despite being a slightly darker tone. 
Another thing is, I'm not too proud of being from here. It may sound ungrateful or disrespectful to a few, but I'm more proud of being of a Mexican background than to be an American. Mexican culture is beautiful, no matter what anyone says. The Spanish language is poetic and exquisite. America has too many problems for me to proud of it. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad I grew up here since I got more opportunities here than I ever would have living back with my grandmother in her small town in Mexico. I'm grateful for the opportunities that have crossed my path, but this country has so much to work on before I can be proud of it. 

Comments